Friday, June 20, 2014

Fruit Pizza (Fruit Tart)


I grew up loving fruit pizza made with Pillsbury sugar cookie dough crust, a sweetened cream cheese layer, and loads or fresh fruit on top. I wanted to re-create this summertime treat in a paleo-friendly way. I'm sharing with you what I did. I'm also giving you my advice for what to change when you make this yourself.


Crust:
1 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg
2 Tablespoons apple juice concentrate

Preheat oven to 350ยบ F.
Mix ingredients together.
Spread on a greased cookie sheet or baking stone.
Bake for 25 minutes or until browned.
Cool.

Middle layer aka white "pizza sauce" to hold the fruit toppings in place:
I used 1 8 oz. block of cream cheese, whipped in the mixer, with some vanilla added. I spread it over the crust when it had cooled. (cream cheese ≠ paleo)

But, I will do this differently next time. I'm used to the sour cream cheese flavor balanced out by a super sweet sugar cookie dough crust. But this crust recipe above is not very sweet. So then this middle layer could stand some altering. Doing it again, I think I'd whip up some lightly sweetened coconut cream (coconut cream + honey or maple syrup or sweetener of your choice + vanilla like this) and use that in place of the cream cheese. And hey, that would even make this layer dairy-free for you. Or else just sweeten up the cream cheese.

Toppings:
Your choice! I used strawberries and blueberries this time. You want to use something pretty that is naturally sweet and won't turn brown before you serve it. In the past, I've used fresh sliced peaches (spritzed with lemon juice) and kiwi circles along with the berries.


Don't be deceived by looks, this fruit pizza is anything but the original. The berries are the star (as they should be). I asked my husband what he thought when he had his share and... he said he liked it, but that it was because he was hungry at the time he ate it, which means he probably would have liked anything. Ha! Well, fan or no, it is too pretty to not share, so here ya go!


(sharing this recipe here)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I loooove fruit pizza. SO excited to try this gluten-free version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! Tnx for sharing the recipe, the ideas for do-overs, and most especially the photos! We have been craving fruit pizza and I was about to give in to the old cookie-dough recipe, but I found your post. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover